Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Dancing with One Leg


It was with bated breath that I watched Heather Mills strut her stuff last night on ABC's, “Dancing with the Stars.” I didn't want to see her leg fly off. Or maybe I did. Whatever- the point I mean to make is that I was thoroughly impressed with her ability to dance on one leg. To dance period is difficult. Now imagine doing it on one leg, wearing high heels and a really long dress. That requires some serious effort (and plenty of balance).

In all fairness, Heather does have an advantage. I am sure that she is wearing the fanciest plastic one can buy. When she asked her partner to pass her a leg from the pile of prosthetics I half expected the leg to walk itself over to Heather and attach itself to her dangling limb. Did you know that Paul McCartney is paying her 20K a day until they settle the terms of their divorce? I don’t need to tell you that 20K a day buys a bunch of legs.

But is Heather's fake leg really a handicap? One might consider her divorce to Paul McCartney to be more of a handicap. After all, the public tends to dislike women that are only famous for the men they married. When they divorce their famous husband, what makes them stars? Shana Moakler found this out the hard way last season. When her divorce from Blink 182 drummer Travis Barker went public, there was no love for the would-be opportunist. She was one of the first to go.

No, I predict that the missing leg will keep Ms. Mills in it for quite some time. That and the fact that she came across as very likeable during her introduction. I was pleased that the judge's didn't consider her handicap when offering their assessment of her performance. Sure they acknowledged it but unlike Paula Abdul, they were able to separate emotion from rating and gave it a solid 6 across the board.

I have no prediction on who will go first. Clyde Drexler was pretty painful to watch but on this show the athletes tend to do very well. Maybe the Backstreet Boy?

No comments: